Save Preloader image


Does Your Business Need an Enrolled Agent or a CPA?

Enrolled Agent Vs Cpa

If you like accounting work with a microfocus, becoming an EA could be a perfect fit. On the other hand, if you are interested in accounting practices that have nothing to do with taxes , then pursuing the CPA option is the obvious choice. You have to 150 hours of college credit (bachelor’s/master’s degrees) before you can sit for the CPA exam. Some states require that also require a certain number of hours worked under the direct supervision of a CPA before allowing you to take the exam. The CPA exam has an extremely low pass rate and you have 18 months to take it. But salary varies depending on where you are on the career continuum. Generally speaking though, if you are a CPA, your income will quickly outpace that of an EA.

How Is an Enrolled Agent Different from a CPA?

While an Enrolled Agent (EA) and a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) are skilled and authorized tax professionals. However, an Enrolled Agent is specifically focused on taxation, whereas a CPA can specialize in taxation and other financial and accounting matters. A person may be an EA and a CPA; however, one appointment does not necessarily qualify the person to serve as the other. CPAs’ duties and professional offerings are broader than an EA’s.

However, if you are a CPA, your income will certainly outpace that of an EA. You need to have 150 hours of college credit before you can sit for the CPA exam. Some states also require a certain number of hours worked under the direct supervision of a CPA before taking the exam.

The New $7,500 Tax Credit That Isn’t

While this question depends on each circumstance, the primary benefits of using a tax professional will always be time savings and improved accuracy. Individuals with more complicated tax needs will obviously benefit more from hiring someone to do their taxes, but everyone will benefit to some extent. A professional service firm such as an engineering design firm or construction engineering and inspection firm can be thought of as a rocket ship. Looking at the business as a rocket ship, it gets easier to remember and share the elements of developing a successful business.

CPAs will provide financial evaluations on a regular basis and will help you to get your books and records reviewed, audited and in order for large bank loans. EAs either have to sit a complex IRS examination to qualify as an enrolled agent, or they must possess a minimum of five years of experience in working for the IRS. Now, different business owners run their businesses in different ways. Some people are better off taking a more “hands on” approach, whereas others specialize in paperwork behind the scenes. As we’re looking at a Los Angeles Enrolled Agent or CPA for personal individual tax preparation, we now need to determine which would be better. CPAs also not only specialize in services relating to other financial matters like auditing and planning. Real experts can help, or even do your taxes for you with TurboTax Live.

The Definitive Guide to Becoming an Enrolled Agent

These goals could include anything from putting down a payment for a home to opening a new branch of business across the country. In other words, a CPA is the go-to if you’re looking for a broad scope of expertise. Certified public accountants, or CPAs, have Enrolled Agent Vs Cpa a more flexible and expansive repertoire than EAs. They deal in all sorts of realms within the tax world, making them a great choice if your questions involve multiple topics. In addition, states approve CPAs, while the federal government approves EAs.

  • If you really want to do a deep dive and get the specific requirements check out our fullCPA requirements by state.
  • Basically, a CPA, or a Certified Public Accountant will undergo 150 undergraduate hours and will need to pass a 4-part CPA exam.
  • Don’t forget that in order to maintain licensure, you will have to take ongoing continuing education courses.
  • Most require at least a bachelor’s degree and at least two years of public accounting experience.

Once they’ve done so, they can use their expanded tax knowledge to return to the CPA Exam, pass it, and get their CPA license as well. The EA exam has three parts, and most people find the first and third parts to be the easiest because some experienced tax professionals can pass these parts with minimal studying. Conversely, almost everyone must work hard to pass the second part–Businesses– so it’s naturally considered the hardest. Enrolled agents, or EAs, are tax preparers the IRS has authorized to represent taxpayers. Enrolled agent clients include individuals, partnerships, corporations, estates, trusts, and any entities with tax-reporting requirements. After obtaining the EA status, ethical adherence becomes a must and every three years, completing 72 hours of continuing education courses.

Becoming a Top Engineering Firm – Zoom Like a Rocket Ship!

All states currently require 150 semester hours of college education for new CPA applicants, based on a curriculum determined by each state. Many earn a master’s degree or higher because most bachelor’s degrees only require 120 semester hours. This existing relationship and their knowledge of the finances of your specific business makes them valuable personnel. However, a bookkeeper’s financial experience does not necessarily translate to tax acumen. Understanding the key differences between financial professionals is essential in determining who you should entrust with your taxes. According to the IRS, the average cost of tax preparation for a Tax Form is $218. This makes some wonder if it is worth it to hire a professional at all.

Enrolled Agent (EA) Definition – Tax Filings – Investopedia

Enrolled Agent (EA) Definition – Tax Filings.

Posted: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 22:38:33 GMT [source]

CPAs can work for large and small corporations/companies, government as well as non-profit organizations. A CPA’s expertise mainly lies in accounting and auditing, but most can provide tax filing services as well. This combination is attractive to small businesses that need both audit and tax services, preferably from the same team. Additionally, the questions on the REG CPA Exam section are harder than those on the EA exam. The EA questions are easier, so most candidates only need a few months to pass the EA exam as opposed to the months typically needed to pass the CPA Exam. In this case, the benefit of the EA exam is that the sooner you can get licensed, the sooner you and your clients can enjoy your improved status with the IRS. This includes preparation of taxes for individuals and business entities as well as advising clients.

Enrolled Agent vs. CPA: Which Will You Choose?

If your taxes seem too complicated and you are unsure of whether you are missing opportunities, I welcome your contact. For a more detailed look at the EA versus CPA Exams, as well as a direct comparison of CMA vs CPA vs EA exams, check out our post on the difficulty of the EA exam. All in all, while there may be exceptions to the rule, the CPA license generally has a much higher barrier of entry than the EA credential. The CPA Exam has four parts, and the exam content is much, much broader. The CPA Exam section equivalent to the EA exam is Regulation . Only around 70% of the REG material relates directly to the EA exam, while the rest covers other topics such as business law. Check the background of your financial professional on FINRA’s BrokerCheck.

Enrolled Agent Vs Cpa

Add Comment